Spinach and meat or chicken is an excellent combination. this recipe is one of many experimental hits and misses. Finally when I made this, I stuck to it. Being my own concoction I must say I am very proud of it. This is one family favorite. I don’t add any cream here but it will give a nice creamy body to the gravy.
|Chicken – on bone||1 kg ( curry cut)|
|Onion -Chopped fine||2 medium|
|Tomato- chopped||2 medium|
|spinach||3 full bunches|
|garlic||3 big cloves|
|Green chilly||2-3 ( or as you prefer)|
|Coriander leaves- chopped||Small bunch|
|Chilly pwd||1-2 tsp|
|Turmeric pwd||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper pwd||1/2 tsp + 1/2 tsp|
|Coriander pwd||1 tsp|
|Cumin pwd||1 tsp|
|Kasoori methi- (fenugreek leaves/ powder )||1/2- 1 tsp|
|Lemon juice||To taste|
|Whole spices- cloves,
- Cook Spinach- In a pan wilt the spinach, cool and grind to a paste with green chillies and ginger garlic. Keep aside
- Wash and dry the chicken and lightly salt it and sprinkle half a teaspoon of pepper powder and keep aside
- In a pot take oil and brown the chicken just enough to seal it and give it a little color. Remove from oil and keep aside.
- In the same oil ( if there is any, or add some more) add the whole spices and let them splutter but don’t burn. Add onion and fry till golden brown , then goes in the dry spice powders, one after the other and take care not to burn it. Fry it for a few seconds. Now its time for the tomatoes and some of the coriander leaves. It needs to cook till the fat appears, stirring all the time. Once you see the oil that means the tomatoes are cooked.
- Pour in the spinach mixture, and let it cook really well. Again you will see the fat appear on the sides, add in the chicken and the juices which collects. Add water to thin it a little only if the gravy is too thick. Add Salt and cook till the chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle kasoori methi and lemon juice and mix well. Sprinkle some coriander leaves if you like.
- Serve with flat breads, or rice