This was the first ever cake i baked for myself… yes myself. It was my birthday and I thought I shall bake a cake and i searched for the recipe, while pretending to do accounts in my cabin.
Took the day off and got the ingredients, went home happily. Dreaming of the perfect cake that i was about to bake. Cream the butter and sugar it said. what is cream butter and sugar??oh my god what does that mean…so blindly i went about it, reading the recipe and i followed it step by step,beating, mixing, folding. I buttered the pan i poured the batter and in it went to bake.
While house filled with this gorgeous sweet smell. i couldn’t believe i actually baked a cake. and it did turn out like in the picture. and it tasted amazing.. and there i fell in love with baking…
|All purpose flour||100 gms|
|Dates (chopped)||200 gms|
|Walnuts/ nuts||50 gms|
|Sugar (brown)||100 gms|
|Butter unsalted||75 gms|
|Vanilla essence||1 tsp|
|Warm water||1/2 cup|
|Baking powder||1/2 tsp|
|Soda bicarb||1/2 tsp|
- Preheat the oven to 175-180 C
- Grease a round cake tin and dust with flour.
- Sift flour, baking powder 3-4 times.
- Soak the chopped dates in 1/2 cup of hot water and baking soda for half hour.
- Chop up the walnuts or mixed nuts. I like using raisins or sultanas too added to the nuts.like a handful. I like the taste..
- Now to assemble… Cream butter and sugar till pale light and fluffy, add to it eggs one by one incorporating it as you add the next add the vanilla essence then the flour fold in.
- Add the nuts and the soaked dates to it and fold in thoroughly.
- Bake for 40 mins.
- I would check and keep an after 30 mins
- Bake till a toothpick inserted comes out clean…
I believe it tastes divine while warm but even better the next day.. Enjoyyy
Also an eggless version to come